Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Great Indoors Granola

I've got a thing for yogurt, and I especially love yogurt with a little crunch.  About two years ago I started making my own granola, and I've never looked back.  The recipe I've included here is one that I've perfected over the past few months.  Hope you enjoy!

You'll need:
1/3 C vegetable oil
2 C old-fashioned oats
1/2 C raisins
2T brown sugar
1T honey
1T chocolate chips (I use semisweet)
2T Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits


1.  Preheat your oven to 350.

2.  Pour the oil into your pan (I used an 8x8 glass pan) and pop it in the oven for 10 minutes to get the oil nice and warm.


3.  Combine your oats, raisins, brown sugar, and honey with the oil.  Stir well and stick it all in the oven for 15 minutes.


4.  Pull your hot granola out of the oven and stir in the chocolate chips and Heath bits.  Mix everything well and make sure the chocolate really coats the oat mixture.  I usually leave the pan out to cool for an hour or so.


5.  Enjoy your tasty granola with yogurt and fresh fruit.  My favorite combo is a few spoons of granola, a handful of walnuts (good daily source of Omega 3 fatty acids!), some non-fat plain yogurt (tons less sugar than other yogurt), and strawberries, blueberries, or pomegranates, whichever is in season.  This combination usually keeps me full until just about lunch time.


If you tend to like your granola a little sweeter, try adding another tablespoon of chocolate and/or honey.  Or if you like less sugary goodness, back out a tablespoon of brown sugar.

What's your favorite from-scratch recipe?

3 comments:

  1. OMG want to make. I buy Publix fat free light all the time but i DO love a little crunch!

    My from-scratch recipe are those oreo balls. mmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really been considering making my own granola. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I suppose I'm a little partial, but I think it's pretty tasty. :-)

      Delete

Comments make my day. Won't you leave one?